Affiliate programs are an excellent home business idea for the beginning home business owner.
You can start right away marketing products or services from a few excellent merchants that you respect.
An affiliate business is good for people who don't like to do some of the nitty-gritty associated with a business like order fulfillment, product shipping and returns, customer service, accounting, etc.
Affiliate marketing is best done as an online business, though there are a few affiliate marketing programs which do provide offline sales supports.
Merchants pay you to refer customers to their website products or services.
If the customer makes a purchase, you receive a commission.
Advantages and Disadvantages
The main benefits of affiliate marketing programs are these:
- Most are free to join.
- You earn commissions on referrals from your website or offline advertising.
- You are not required to purchase products in order to be paid.
- The merchant takes care of purchases, shipping, returns, taxes, paperwork, legal issues, warehousing, and so on.
- There is room for creativity in using affiliate programs on your own uniquely created website.
- Total costs for running an affiliate programs business can be very minimal.
Drawbacks to affiliate programs are these:
- You need to generate a lot of traffic onto your website to make sufficient sales. 500 unique visitors per day is a good start.
- You are not in control of your merchants' business decisions.
For example, an affiliate merchant can make sudden changes to their affiliate program that can result in a cut in your commissions.
- If you run an independent informational resource like a news service, receiving commissions for recommending products could call your credibility into question.
- Keeping track of all your affiliate programs can be challenging!
Guidelines for Getting Started With Affiliate Programs
Affiliate marketing is NOT a get-rich-quick home business idea.
You cannot simply place a banner on a website or place a newspaper ad, and expect the money to come rolling in.
It takes smart, diligent work to know how to create a good income using affiliate marketing programs.
For maximum success, you will need to create a unique, content-based website about an area of interest to you and provide recommendations to a few top quality merchants whose products and services are relevant to your website theme. In your website, you'll include a link to their site.
You will need to bring a LOT of traffic (visitors) to your website, and you'll need to know how to effectively recommend your affiliate products and services.
Don't worry; we have some good resources here to help you get started if you're a beginner.
You'll also need to build relationships with your visitors with a newsletter or blog that provides regular information and updates to your subscribers.
What Does an Affiliate Business Look Like?
The most successful affiliate businesses are those that have a unique, content rich website that provides real value to visitors.
The affiliate products and services are recommended, but they are not the focus of the site by any means.
The goal is to build a unique website, full of great information … build trust with your visitors.
There is a tool I found that dramatically shortened my learning curve with this.
I'm one of those people they write those “Internet Marketing for Dummies” kind of books for.
Not to disparage myself, as I did manage to graduate from college… but I am not technically inclined in the least.
I found this amazing course on how to succeed with affiliate marketing.
Amazingly, this course was, and still is absolutely free to join.
How To Succeed In Your Affiliate Business
If you enjoyed “Making Money with Affiliate Programs – Another Home Business Idea” please share it with your friends. 🌷